Antivirus software is a program written to protect the computer from malicious and harmful programs such as viruses, trojans, malware, spyware, adware, rootkits, and keyloggers.
Online antivirus programs have some advantages over the ones installed on your PC. They are listed below:
- Online antivirus programs consume fewer resources than the ones installed on your computer. By using an online antivirus, you can save your disk space and memory and still get protection against viruses and Spywares
- Online antivirus programs are constantly updated and contain the latest virus definitions, making your computer more secure.
- Most online antivirus programs are free.
- Using online antivirus programs enables you to decide between the best available options. This advantage cannot be enjoyed while using an installed antivirus.
- You can scan your files with more than one antivirus at a time to ensure security, which is not possible while using an installed version.
- Installed antivirus programs operate from your operating system’s kernel, the most trusted area, making your computer secure.
- Severe virus attacks can corrupt the installed antivirus making it incapable of offering protection; this is not the case with an online antivirus program. It is always secure and ensures your security.
- Sometimes the operating system is already infected, so online antivirus is your only option.
- Online antivirus software saves you from the complicated process of removing already-installed antivirus software if you are not satisfied with its performance.
Here are some of the best known online antivirus programs:
- Bit Defender Quick Scan: Bit defender quick scan is the online version of one of the most trusted and well-reputed antivirus programs, the Bit Defender Antivirus. Its award-winning antivirus engine can scan your system’s memory, hard drives even if they are portioned, and boot sector. The behavioral-based scanning gives you the satisfying level of security you need for your computer. It has a convenient user interface with two different modes for basic and advanced users. The drawback is that it only supports Internet Explorer.
- Symantec Security Check: Symantec security check is the online service provided by one of the oldest and most well-established companies in the antivirus software market, the Symantec Corporation. This antivirus program enjoys the trust of millions of customers. Its latest behavioral-based scan can protect you from any known and unknown threat. It has a very user-friendly interface. The service also provides analyses and suggestions to enhance your security further.
- ESET Online Scanner: ESET online scanner is an online version of ESET NOD32 antivirus. Its anti-rootkit technology provides adequate protection against viruses, worms, Trojans, phishing, and rootkits. It supports Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari web browsers.
- CA Online Scanner: CA Online Scanner or Computer Associates Online Scanner is a trusted online antivirus service. To use this antivirus, you have to download its active X component. After the component is downloaded and installed, you can scan your hard drive and computer memory. It only supports Internet Explorer.
- McAfee Free Scan: McAfee free scan is an online antivirus service by another trusted name in antivirus technology, the McAfee Antivirus. McAfee’s free (trial) version is already prevalent among domestic users. Its award-winning antivirus engine protects you against known and unknown viruses, Trojans, spyware, and rootkits.